The plan was to make a cute little cupcake hat for Scouts second birthday. I started it lastnight. I felt I might end procrastinating on making this for her because I have so many things to do. As simple as I’d like my life to be I am still busy on a day to day basis. This week is especially insane.
- Wednesday, (today) – French 1 class, we have a dictation
- Thursday- Knott’s Scary Farm
- Friday- Jem’s therapy appointment
- Saturday-Blythe Doll Show in L.A., dinner at Buca di Beppo and then a 10:30 showing of “Saw V”
- Sunday- Target shopping, (which can be quite extensive if one isn’t careful), and a day at Boo at the Zoo. (The L.A. zoo has a special weekend when they do Halloween activities and we figured we should take advantage seeing as we are members.)
So, as busy as we are I had to make some time and I cast on for the hat last night. By morning I was knitting the frosting and I just finished up.
Pattern: Cupcake Hat by Susan B. Anderson from Itty Bitty Nusery
Knit on US 8’s with some Red Heart Soft Yarn in cream and chocolate. Cherries were crocheted for me by someone on Etsy since I can’t crochet for squat, though I did do a picot edge around the brim of the frosting.
It’s getting harder and harder to photograph an almost two year old on the run. Sorry for the horrible fuzziness. She loves her new hat and had her big brother try it on. Now he wants one.
As for the Mittens I have to say that I am very disappointed with the pattern. The actual charts were just fine. It’s the sizing. I’ve contemplated quite a bit and asked myself, “Do I know anyone with a size 8″ circumference hand?” I cannot answer that because I simply do not know anyone with a size 8″ circumference hand. My gauge was a bit bigger so I decided on using those needles and continue. The mitts should have been bigger, right? Wrong. Somehow, some way, they are entirely too small. They barely fit Jem’s hands. He wants those too, though. So I will gift them to him and maybe start another pair for myself. Four skeins of Koigu can easily make two pair. Maybe even a baby pair for Scout. She should have something handknit to open on her birthday, right?
I’ve found it difficult to achieve any type of balance lately.
Imbalance when I stand up.
There’s always something going on and right now the list is more like a million little things. I’m immersed in conflict and can’t see my way out. I seek happiness and friendship. I pray that I can go outside and not have a panic attack. I wish to breathe normally again.
And when none of this seems like it’s a realistic goal, I bake.
I bake to avoid loneliness. I bake to cure boredom. I bake to wet my appetite. Sometimes I feel empty like this little cupcake liner. Other days I feel like this:
Filled to the brim with possibilities.
Cupcakes give you a sense of warmth and comfort. Nothing can feel wrong when you have a cupcake.
With the summer season comes a variety of delicious summer fruits. I love nectarines, grapes, watermelon, and most of all: strawberries. Strawberry ice cream, jam, shortcake, lemonade… You name it, we’ve been making it over the summer months.
Last night I decided to try out a new strawberry recipe which proved to be both simple and satisfying.
Now onto Double Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter filling.
Edited to add swap questionnaire:
- Do you knit or crochet? How long have you been at your craft? I’ve been knitting for 8 years and I crochet, very rarely, (I admit I’m not that good).
- Do you spin? What type of spinning do you do? I don’t spin.
- Are there any other crafts that you participate in? I make jewelry, (mainly pearls, crystals and seed beads), quilt and sew, and I alter scrapbooks/journals.
- What are your favorite yarns/fibers? Some of my favorites include: Koigu KPPPM, Karabella Aurora 8, Blue Moon Fiber Arts Lightweight Sock Yarn, Louet Gems, and Rowan Wool/Cotton.
- What are your LEAST favorite yarns/fibers? I don’t like tweedy yarns or novelty type yarns.
- Are there any types/brands of yarn that you are dying to work with but haven’t gotten a chance? I’d love me some Sundara, of course. I’d also like to try Blue Sky Alpacas Royal. I’ve never knit with it but I’ve felt it. Yum!
- What are your favorite types of projects to knit/crochet? Sweaters and socks.
- What are you currently working on? Anything you plan to start this autumn? My second Central Park Hoodie and my own sock design.
- What is your favorite FO? (Please, post a picture if you would like.) Right now I think my favorite is the Rib and Lace Tank from Interweave Knits, Spring 07.
- What is your oldest UFO? Cabled cardigan from Vogue Knitting, Winter 05. I’d love to have it done by Winter this year.
- Are their any knitting/crochet techniques that you would like to learn? I’d like to work on my crochet skills.
- Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements? Yes! I have a 9 1/2″ foot circumference. I was born with a wide foot and high instep.
- Do you have a yarn winder and/or a swift? No, but I have my eyes on one that’s on Etsy.
- Where/how to you keep you needles/hooks? My long needls are in a vase and my circulars in needle holders that my grandmother made me a few years ago.
- Do you collect anything? Not currently. I am pining away for a Blythe doll. Once I get one I will collect clothes and probably more dolls.
- What is your favorite type of music? Are you MP3 ready? I love bands like Linkin Park, System of a Down, and Fall Out Boy. I also like R&B, Rap, Reggae, Pop… I have an iPod but it’s not working right now.
- Do you like sweets? What are your favorites? I love gourmet popcorn. And anything peanut butter chocolate is good too! Oh, and Werther’s caramels.
- What is your living situation like? Any pets? Children? It’s me and Shawn and our two kids: Jem, 10 years old and Scout, 19 months old. We also have a Siamese cat named Dalton and a Beta fish named Gil.
- Are you allergic to anything? Mosquito bites!
- Do you have an online wish list (Amazon, Etsy, Loopy Ewe, etc.)? Please include links for your swap pal. I have an online wish list through Amazon, (using my email address).
- Are you having a birthday during this swap? Yes, November 27th. Thanksgiving day I believe.
- What is your Ravelry ID? BluEyedPenny